Monday, November 19, 2007

Declining Enrollment?

Gee, after reading Gewilli's depressing post, I'd hoped to spin something positive today. Allow me to say something positive then: I love riding my bike. Saturday was very cool. And cool temps too. The UNH CX event at Kingman Farm, well, let's call it the best race that nobody went too ever. I think they got less than 80 riders total. At registration, someone lamented that they needed 104 to break even. What a bummer. It was cold out, but they did not flood the course this year, and they eliminated all the single track from the woods. The layout made up for it with some nice varied looping and a mix of high speed and trickier turns out in the cow pasture. Some thought it was unimaginative, but I liked it a lot. The course was basically all gas all the time. The combined masters field numbered only 14 strong, and off the start the Cronoman, Curley, and Keith Button (Noreast) set the pace. One the first lap, I did exactly what I'd vowed not to do and rode like an idiot, taking bad lines over the bumps to move around people when gaps opened. Most of them repassed me when I overextended, and on lap two Wayne Cunningham, Carl Ring (NHCC), and Andrew Durham (CCB-Evil Empire) formed a second trio about fifteen seconds behind the leaders. I ended up in no man's land another fifteen seconds back from them after two of my BOB team mates piled into each other and planted themselves in the ground on one of the muddy turns. Timmy got by them too, but he there was a gap between he and I too.

We did seven laps. At two to go I drove it hard and closed up to Wayne, who had fallen just off the other two. I should have gone around and kept driving, but I sat on him for a bit. After the hurdles, I think he tried to remount on the rise and faltered. I ran to the top as on every other lap, opening a small gap. I closed to the Ringer but he held me off down the hill and all the way to the line.

After the race I put on a dry kit, including my new woolies, and headed out solo for some exploring on the road bike. Found some nice quiet roads, and just kept riding and riding. After an hour I turned around to retrace my route (had no idea where I was) and found I now had a tailwind. Thoroughly enjoyed this ride even though it was in the 30's and windy. Made good time going back but then must have missed a turn, got lost for a half an hour and made it back to the car just as the handful of elite riders were cleaning up from their race. I logged just under 2.5 hours, making it a 3.5 hour day on the bike. I love riding.

Sunday I wanted to go out riding some more. I had a pot luck party to go to in the afternoon, and needed to try my hand at some cooking in order to contribute. Saturday was a long day in the car too, so I skipped Lowell and just headed over to Norwood for the 4 mile running race. This is a decent sized annual event, about 400 runners, and quite a bit of prize money so the race attracts a strong field. I should have gone riding first though, because for some reason they did not start at 10:30 as advertised; the race was at 11. I ran well, posting 5:56, 6:00, 6:06, and 6:00 splits on the hilly course (not steep, but almost no flats) to take 6th in my age group. By then it was too late to ride, and I just went home to try the recipes Gewilli had given me for hors d'eurves. They came out all right for a first try, but not great. This was not a drinking crowd either, and my jello shots went more or less untouched. And I ate too much. Good thing I love riding my bike... Went out this morning and just rode the cx bike around the pasture for a while until I got a flat, then limped home.

Oh yeah, the declining enrollment thing. Maybe Colin can crunch the numbers and figure out if the number of cross entries is fading like it seems. There were about 650 riders/day back at Gloucester, with another hundred or so at a small race in PA the same day. There was also another UCI race in Ohio that weekend. This past weekend, the NJ race got only about 425, UNH got shit, and I'm not sure about Cheshire. It would be interesting to see how the numbers graph out over the season. This might support or undermine Gewilli's wish for more January racing (maybe he's burning out now and will rethink? Of course he'll rethink. And rethink. And rethink...). Hell Colin, this could even be valuable demographic info to somebody. Maybe you should try to sell it to the marketers serpents of the world. By the way, I love riding my bike. No proofing. Thanks for reading.

11 comments:

  1. heck maybe no one wants to race in the winter...

    or

    all the killer venues are in the first half of the season?

    Sterling will be a litmus... no people = problem...

    Wrentham is a kick ass course and then of course there are the two races at Goddard park.

    attendance... we'll see what happens if and when anyone gets their asses together to promote a jan/feb cross race/series...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and - wow - what is up with you writing stuff in the middle of the day...

    not to mention being as fixated on my entry as you seem to be...

    ReplyDelete
  3. dave, it was nice to meet you, cronoman and a few of the other bob crew at unh. i was the smcc rider on the white poprad who stopped by while you were warming up.

    i have a lot of love for the unh crew. i did my first 'cross race this year at kingman at their series and i really enjoyed the atmosphere. it was a nice place to dismally fall apart without crushing heckling. it sucks that there weren't more racers this weekend... but i have to agree with colin on the info thang. when there are great tools at your disposal like the web, bikereg and so forth, promoters just have to take advantage of them. it's... lazy not to. i've missed a few local(ish) 'cross races this year because they've been poorly [or entirely un-] publicized. given the time, i'm willing to drive across several state lines to race most weekends, as are most folks still racing this time of year. but i can't do that if the info on the race isn't available. i don't drive three states away to ask around at clubs or shops about what's on later in the season - i rely on web sites, etc... unh did put the info up about 24hrs before the race (i knew where to go because i'd been there before), but for a lot of people with family, kids, etc., we plan things a few days out... we... have to... organize things. too bad...

    fwiw, i didn't make it on to the results at unh because of a transcription error... sigh. hopefully it'll still make it to usac (the official showed me my placing in the results folder), tho it's really nbd because i finished out of the top10 anyway. oh well. perhaps if i hadn't crashed into the barriers on that second lap, or not been on the brakes so much on the top end of the course, or wasn't just plain half-fast.

    still, i'll be back for the series next year. bikes r fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, dettos, now I get it. If I'd remembered your name you would have got a mention. Or maybe even a special "here's to the fans of solobreak" entry. I was even going to look for SMCC in the results...

    I know what you mean about the race. I was ready to never go back when they watered down the course two years ago. Then last year I went because it was a new venue. They couldn't help it that it flooded. I'm sure it wasn't always like that. Plus, I'd been running a lot and it was super warm out, so it was fun, and I'm as non-mudder as they come.

    So this year I gave them another chance and it was their best course yet. Part of being a good promoter is experience. As a college club, UNH has a natural turnover, so maybe as promoters they don't benefit as much from experience. But the race was cool. I think it might be even cooler if they reversed the direction. I hope they do it next year. There aren't enough courses where raw power comes in handy anymore. Well, maybe if it rained and it were all muddy...

    I think the attendance fades because it's hard to stay fit and cross is too torturous when you're not in good condition. I wouldn't be out there either, except I didn't start until Canton.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe I should rock the baggy shorts one of these days so you can recognize me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Only if you have a wallet on a chain too.

    I must admit, I haven't been much of a spectator this year. Maybe I'll make a special B race n... oh wait, never mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. good point on the unh promotion thing. didn't mean to harsh on the kids. i mean, hey, i founded a cycling team (of a whopping 2+ riders) at my university in the early '90s, but it never even occurred to me at that time to try to organize a practice series, much less a freakin' race. good on 'em.

    i do remember racing back then, and driving all the way down to central texas for a race i'd seen in velonews. get all the way there, 6hrs on the road, nobody there. i call the number and am told by a college kid with a hangover that the race had been rescheduled for a few weeks later. they were sorry i "hadn't gotten the postcard." times, they have changed. a little.

    good point on reversing the course at kingman. that would be interesting. i've only won one 'cross race, and it was only because there were a few climbs on the course to thin things out. i bike handle like a baboon.

    see ya out there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm feeling the love again on Solo's blog. Just a moment...anybody got a tissue?

    ReplyDelete
  9. it is a bad sign when MIF is cranking it to solo's writing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heh - that was the other beer jingle the guys were singing...I would've written it too, but I couldn't remember the words!

    Hey, I'm not as young as I look! But those jingles were totally new for me. I'm more of the "Tastes Great, Less Filling" era :)

    ReplyDelete