Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2009

Since the season ended for good at Ice Weasels a few weeks back, I've taken a break from the bike, thoroughly de-trained, and succumbed to the reflection and anticipation thought process that commonly accompanies the celebration of another successful trip around the sun. As much as I'd like to make an attempt to look forward without looking back, I'm simply not that creative, so we'll begin with a not-so-brief summary of all the good things from 2008. This past year was pretty awesome for me in many repects. I think I learned a lot. Usually I make a point to stick to athletic stuff on this blog, mostly bike racing, but for just a second I'm going to step outside of that.

Sometimes going into a new year I set a goal for myself to make some sort of positive change. You know, what's commonly known as the New Year's resolution. The past few years it's been an honest attempt to keep the Nega-Coach persona backgrounded during my life outside of cycling. Direct, straightforward, (blunt?), no bullshit evaluations of situations can have unintended consequences, like hurt feelings, or worse yet fear and entrenchment by your associates. So when in doubt, especially in my professional life, but also (almost) everywhere else, I've been trying to mature into the kinder, gentler, Nurture-Coach some of you know and love. Unless of course you wear the same kit as me. Then you're exempt, so check your feelings at the door and suck it up, cream puffs.

I've benefited from this approach because people are more likely to speak up when they're not cowering in fear of your reaction. What a revelation. Of course, this leads to opportunities to listen. Going into 2008, I'd already been in nurture mode for a few years, so I didn't have a specific personal adjustment in mind. I merely hoped to continue on the same path as before. Of course, here in the United States of America, we were electing a new president and leader. The internet certainly played a role in past elections, but this time may have been the first where it was clearly the dominant forum for "debate." This is a bike racing blog, so I generally don't go there. Bike racers and athletes come from all corners of the political spectrum, and my view has always been that if they want to discuss divisive politics on the internet, there are tens of thousands of places to do it other than cycling sites which otherwise bring us together. Of course, not everyone takes that approach, and on all kinds of non-politically focused blogs and websites, people editorialized their respective views. And shit storms inevitably followed. Slingshotting a crap rocket of disagreement has never been easier, but that doesn't make it a good idea most of the time. I found myself truly appalled by the viciousness and close-mindedness which ensued after even the most benign commentary.

Ughh. I did not set out to pen this type of essay. Cutting to the chase, in 2008 the foundation for my this year's resolution was laid. Staying out of the political debate, or at least not contributing to it, gave me a chance to listen. And not just to voices I tend to agree with, although I did listen to them too, an oftentimes agonizing and frustrating process in itself, if you know what I mean. This year (and I'm not talking exclusively about politics, I'm just using it to make a point), I tried much harder than in the past to listen to views of the opposing teams, and everyone else. I even went out of my way to seek some that enraged me, but kept the rage quelled and listened. Waiting to talk is not listening. Talking is also not always an effective way to disarm others and get them to talk. I hope you get it, because I fear I'm not doing a very effective job of getting my point across. Basically, this year I want to keep on listening, especially to those I don't think I agree with, but certainly also to those whom I do too. Part of it may be a "know thine enemy" kind of thing, but most of it is just a bigger effort to understand. Just try to understand, and learn something from it.

You know what? That was more than just a second. The other stuff will have to wait. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment