Friday, December 5, 2008

Now I remember!



It took a trainer ride to do it, but a couple of my stray brain cells collided in the personal airspace that is my cranium and the intended subject of this morning's post came back to me. I've been hearing a lot about the magical Power Cranks lately, from riders whom I sort of respect (all three of you... don't let your egos get the best of you just because I'm tossing you a Friday night dog biscuit). Enough so that I clicked on over and took a look. Ummm. Ok. In case you don't know, these are just cranks that have a one way ratchet where they attach to the spindle. You can stop one leg whenever you want. Great for one legged pedaling drills, but the magic is supposed to come from needing to keep your "upstroking" leg pedaling circles to prevent it from just ratcheting back. The end result is supposed to be a better pedal stroke that employs more muscle groups, etc.

This is where I realized my Lapierre 10 speed of 35 years ago was ahead of it's time. Anyone who has ever ridden with a partially stripped cottered crank knows what I'm talking about. Power Cranks. Smirk. Maybe this is why I have such an awesome pedal stroke. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment