Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Bikes

In roughly reverse chronological order.

  • 2006 Motobecane Le Champion SL
  • Hot Tubes CX (painted as Team Saturn Lemond, bought from Markie Mark)
  • 1984 Marukin converted to TT bike
  • 1994 Slim Chance
  • 1990 Panasonic Team IME road bike (also bought from Markie Mark)
  • Torrelli CX bike
  • Fat Chance Yo Eddy MTB (still my only MTB)
  • Bianchi Equinox CX (crashed into a tree at Plymouth, broke frame in 2 places)
  • Cannondale MTB #2 (gave to nephew)
  • Cannondale MTB #1 (rear triangle broke off, was warranteed) I was a drop bar MTB'er.
  • Cannondale 3.0 Road bike (Bike Link Team Issue)
  • Nishiki TT bike donated to Bikes not Bombs as part of the Artbike auction
  • Haro Trials Bike won in a raffle at Fight for the Forest MTB race, sold to Todd Downs a week later.
  • 1988 Rossin SLX, full Chorus, my first thoroughbred racing bike, currently a fixed gear track bike
  • 1986 Specialized Rockhopper, this thing did it all. Still being ridden by my bro.
  • 1986 Specialized Allez SE (still have it, my first racing bike)
  • 1984? Motobecane Nomade ($169 special that got me back into riding).
  • ~1970 LaPierre Tour de France - $50, obtained by a shady relative who ended up in federal prison after being implicated in a gun-running operation (alleged to have been headed by Whitey Bulger) to supply the IRA with automatic weapons stolen from the Danvers Armory. Simplex, Mafac, etc. Better than any other 12 year olds bike, that's for sure. And at the time, I was naive and had no idea it might have been stolen.
  • various dump bikes, assembled after numerous trash day scouting missions. Some choppers.
  • 24" Fleetwing single speed. A real tank, built in headlight/faux gas tank. Use to deliver papers on my Globe and Patriot Ledger routes. Bought new for $24.99 at the Jordan Marsh warehouse store in Newton (near Riverside T-stop, long gone now).
  • Columbia 20" wheel Stingray, aka Monkey bike. My first new bike! A Christmas gift. In the late sixties, early seventies, we were BMX pioneers and made number plates out of Cool Whip container tops.
  • Fleetwing 20" wheel hand me down. Maybe bought at Western Auto for my older bro.


Pics to follow if I can find them.

*** correction: As noted by rightcoast1, my MTB is a Yo Eddy. He should know, he built it. Not that I don't know the difference between a Yo and a Wicked; it's just that to me Wicked is synonomous with Fat Chance, distinguishing them from IF's. I know that isn't correct, but that's just the way I end up thinking of things.

4 comments:

  1. Speaking of which, do you know if Todd Downs went to another bike shop? He's the only mechanic I'd ever go to if I couldn't fix it myself

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think I learned on a little florecent yellow Huffy, can't remember past that :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah well little miss litka, i'm *SURE* you were the first one to ever think of doing that ;)

    :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually the Wicked is a Yo with True Temper OX4 main tubes and Magura hydralic rim brake cable routing OX4Y4L

    ReplyDelete