Friday, June 9, 2006

How can you laugh, when you know I'm down?

The tooth extraction did not turn out to be so bad. Once the novacaine set in, it took Dr. Fitz all of two minutes to have that bad boy out in one piece. That comes to about $6000/hour, which explains the Carrera 4 out front. After I got home, the monsoon briefly letup and the road started to show dry patches, but seeing as I was pumped up with pain meds, and still bleeding a bit, I decided that three days in a row without a workout would not be so bad. This little mini-break should leave me with recharged batteries, allowing me to do a good schedule the next several weeks into the mid-summer races.

This morning I overslept again. In contrast to last month, when five hours of sleep was a big deal, the past two weeks I have been getting seven hours or more of quality Z's each night. Last month I had just not adapted to the in season training load. You can be overtrained on six hours a week if your body isn't used to it. My weight has crept up quite a bit (at least a kilo), so I have to knuckle down and refocus the rest of this month. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

The other bloggers have been on a roll lately. Too bad that I am too busy to enjoy it. I got a comment from Bolder on Wednesday, so I guess I've hit the big time! Bolder and Kahuna are two of my favorites, even though I am not a triathlete. These two guys have widely read blogs that incorporate the essential mix of humor and serious fitness that (on a good day) I strive for here. They are in roughly the same age bracket as me too, so maybe that is why I can relate. I think we were all funnier in the winter though. Not sure why that is. The fatigue of training actually stimulates the brain's humor mechanism, but maybe it never makes it to the keyboard. Some of the funniest shit I can remember was hanging out with the team at the Little Buckhorn Lodge in Killington after the hard stages in the old KSR. Everyone would be wasted and licking their wounds (the ones we could reach), and then just start ripping on each other and everyone else who might have been in or around the race. Great times.

All right, none of this makes sense to anyone but me and about three more of you. Consider it a challenge to put something laughable up this week. Ge-Willi, any chance of getting a hall pass to get out for a ride this weekend? You might have to drive for it, but I think it is time we met the man behind the monitor. We might even be able to hook up with Feltslave (free yogurt!), and Zoo (not sure if he is even talking to me anymore) if you're willing to drive to Nausea in Cow Hampshire on Sunday. Of course we'll have to chase KL up all the hills. You might want more than that 50x23. Thanks for reading! Let's hope Markie Mark does it again in Philly!

1 comment:

  1. ifn ya wanna reschedule the showing and figure out how to 'splain it to the In-laws... i'd be game...

    but... i may have to make do with a 7am sunday morning solo ride with some hills up on West Wrentham and Tower Hill... maybe i can do it without getting a flat... Assumiing i can get some tubes before then...

    ReplyDelete