Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Cappo Il Bruce

No question who the head of the RIRGM is. The big leather plunger was the obvious link. Not as obvious (actually, impossible to see) was the actual Silca brand frame pump head in the plastic bag. In my blindness, I couldn't find the grommets, but I knew they were in there. Now I know who to call next time I'm looking for something.

Other acceptable answers would have been that the primary subjects were both Italian (the mafia reference was a hint, get it?) and that both pictures were taken in my dungeon. I should probably omit the "I majored in I.T. and I have a minor in my basement" joke, but I won't.

The Regina stuff, yeah, maybe you also noted two of them are the "Superleggera" alloy models that lasted about a week. Couldn't pass them up for something less than $100 each at the old Nashbar outlet store in Needham. One of them was a 12-17 that got converted to a 12-15 four-speed after the larger cogs ripped from the body as Il Bruce notes. I rode the district TT with it one year.



In this one, I had to throw the 6-speed 15-21 junior gear in there. Great for training. Shimano actually makes this kind of stuff available in 10 speed cassettes now. A 14-27 is perfect for the winter. Gewilli's rust comment motivated me to clean up the pumps. The black one seems toasted, it has no plunger; I don't think it was leather originally. The pink one successfully inflated an old Clement Super Condor that I dragged out for the occasion, but the guage doesn't work. Thanks for reading mofos!

6 comments:

  1. The presta valves were probably from ill-fated attempts to fill old tubulars with sealer.

    And oh yeah, the wood screws. Not sure why they are in there (too long for the old wooden soled Duegis, maybe building barriers for cross?), but go to flatman.blogspot.com and scroll down to the video, very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The freewheel on the left is a 6 speed shimano 13-18 straight block in good condition. Wait till tommorow's pic...

    ReplyDelete
  3. the 13-18 straight block with a 53-39 really was hard to beat...

    no useless gears...

    when i was 165 pounds in college i could climb just about anything with that combo... once i put the 177.5 cranks on... the 170s on there when i bought the p-mount were pretty impossible to get up the hills in Gig-Harbor and the surrounding Kitsap/Pierce County area...

    ReplyDelete
  4. eh...I never was good at the "Where's Waldo" type games

    ReplyDelete
  5. Winner Pro.

    15t for a top end. Makes flippin' sense to il Bruce.

    53 x 11 for most of us velo-consumers? NFW.

    I'd be happy with a 13t in most cases. I haven't pushed a 11t 0r 12t in anger in 10 years.

    ReplyDelete