Friday, December 15, 2006

Whoever said...

...that the only bad press was no press was not a member of Team BOB this week. good.fucking.grief...

Good luck to the Cronoman and my other mates who are brave enough to race in cross nats this weekend. I just checked my old training logs. I met Stevens twenty years ago this month at the old BRC cross training series. This weekend marks the sixth time the 'nats have visited New England since that time. This will be the first time I'm not attending, yet I've only raced it twice. Even that is a stretch, because in '95 I only last 3/4 lap before leaving the course injured. Last year I got lapped in the 45+ and only ended up completing four laps in the snow. Not much of a record.

After this it's all over. Don't let the end of the weekend travel be a let down. Regroup, rest, recover, reflect, and look forward. Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

  1. I can only remember:

    Nats in Plymouth (Friggin COLD). Met Eric Heiden.

    Fernald (?) School in Belmont. Got dissed by a young AHM.

    La Prov.
    Got whined at by a bunch of Cali Giant Dingleberries.


    Did I miss a Devens or something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plymouth was 88, I think. Light snow, deathpits, Jan Wejak.
    Fernald was around 92. Don Myrah.
    Leicester was 95. I don't remember who won.
    Devens was around 98. I think Mark won that year but I'm not sure. This was the famous and hugely popular incident where Frankie dismounted behind his bro to prevent somebody (don't remember who)from riding the hill. Maybe I have it mixed up.
    Then Providence last year, more snow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right. Johnny Sundt was bunny hopping the barriers that year (Devens '98) it was the first anyone had seen of it. And Frank put his bike in front of him to allow Mark to move on to win. That was also when Saturn had Bart Bowen, and the three of them pretty much owned the cross scene.

    If memory serves me correctly Johnson won the u23 race when Page rolled a tire. I think, although that could have been next day in the Supercup race.

    ReplyDelete